Saturday 23 March 2013

Bad memories...

One of my cheerful patients on Friday was just off on holiday to Morzine in France, for a family snowboarding trip. All excitement and a precautionary 'check-up' for snuffly offspring before departing.

I remarked that the same location marked my last ever skiing trip location 4 years ago, a fall seriously fracturing my leg, and a painful ten month rehabilitation period before returning to work. Perhaps the 'health promotion' message to take care and wear a helmet will sink in!



But last night for me marked again by unpleasant dreams re-living the event, asking myself 'what if'... to change the outcome.

I have not yet been faced by patients who have experienced harm, of even just mentioned uncomfortable reminders of past events and experiences after reviewing past records and events - but it will happen sometime.

Not a reason to ban the prospect of retrospective access in my eyes, but important to have human sensitivity in dealing with the lingering consequences of past event for our patients.

Peter S

No comments:

Post a Comment