Monday 30 January 2012

Days when 'Access' in bottom of my agenda....

There is no doubt in my mind that there is NOTHING like a full day of front-line clinical practice to put in perspective the challenge that we face in allowing new and innovative ways for patients and citizens to interact with their Health advisors.
After eleven and a half hours at the sharp end of 'undifferentiated illness, uncertainty and discontent' with hardly a break, I am shattered and drained of sympathy and enthusiasm. The benefit of 28 years of experience, grey hairs and a generally mild manner has not protected me from the pressure of 'trying to do the right thing', non-stop on the conveyor belt of General Practice.
And all-round the country tomorrow, my colleague GPs and Nurses will start again with the same routine.

Am I really very inefficient?
Should I 'free up time' to analyse what I should be doing differently?
Why do I find it so difficult to adopt a 'low appeasement strategy' advocated recently by  a respected mentor?
Is this sort of experience and combination of feelings the reason why so many of us are reluctant to consider the combination of Records Access, virtual consultations and expanding communication channels?
We just have difficulty imagining how we can fit it all in........

Answers on a post-card.

Peter Short

2 comments:

  1. Just testing that I can leave a comment Peter but it sounds like you had a rough day yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monday never an easy day in GP surgery (or tuesday, wednesday, thursday or friday for that matter), rather similar it seems for my community and hospital colleagues, who do not even have the option to decline evening, night and weekend work!
    And I really am struggling to see where the capacity to 'invest' in this initiative will come from when Commissioning, Care nearer home, early discharge and 'avoiding unwarranted referral' are the priorities we wrestle with. But perhaps the big challenge is the intensity of work, leaving precious little time for reflection, learning and quality improvement.

    ReplyDelete