Thursday 24 April 2014

Slow progress & New targets

Well General Practice has begun to settle into a new year of shifting targets, altered priorities and 'initiatives' to change the service for the better!
Sadly for front-line service, no-one seems to have altered the increasingly dependant culture in society to seek advice for any potential ill, woe, grievance or disappointment that does not resolve within minutes.
My own medical degree, 6 years post graduate training and regular updating is no longer the main underpinning of front-line practice. It would probably have been beneficial to more presenting patients had I done a combined Dentistry and Social Work degree!

But for all patients registered with my Practice aged over 75, help is at hand with new requirements in the GP contract - being allocated a nominated and accountable GP. (By June 2014 - so Record Access relegated AGAIN as a priority.)

As one of my trusted colleagues put it to me this week - "I do think sometimes politician’s think a bit of spin will solve the world. What do they think GPs have been doing for 50 years but providing personal care to their patients. As if a “nominated accountable GP” will suddenly make everyone well!"

For an average practice like my own this causes unexpected challenges. As the longest serving partner but with a part-time commitment, I have a proportionally larger share of patient for whom I am recorded as the 'usual GP'. In fact to achieve an equitable (and manageable) share I will have to inform 149 patients that 'another' GP is allocated as responsible and accountable for them. Perhaps not a way to enhance my reputation and build long term relationships - but without this sharing of responsibility a large slice of my clinical availability will be swallowed by this worthy initiative.

But perhaps I am 'old-fashioned' - I have always felt professionally responsible and accountable for patients on my practice list - and paid Medical Defence fees accordingly. New directives do not improve capacity for my Practice, in fact they tend to restrict our freedom to prioritise attention on those in greatest need (there are some very fit, well and independent over 75's!).

The law of unintended consequences revealed again?

Peter S.

No comments:

Post a Comment