Friday 18 November 2011

Ready or not…….


I may live to regret this, but with the approval and support of my practice manager, we have placed our first batch of leaflets about patient access to medical records in the waiting room!
Why the hurry? Well I can always find excuses NOT to do things – sitting beside me is an exercise bicycle that is the perfect example. So perhaps a bit of interest and direct pressure from my patients will be the next stimulus I need.

I have spent some time producing a suite of information sheets, a mixture of the glossy and the informative (playing). They will probably need to be edited in future – but in response to the patient comments I get. They have already been reviewed for basic language errors, and made more patient friendly. I have borrowed a few items from other surgery leaflets, and will aim to publish our versions soon through this site! Would that be of use to anyone?

We have settled on a very old fashioned idea of requesting signed consent – not an approach I want to last very long, but it may make people take the responsibility seriously. I will now work hurriedly on the questions to ask those who wish to take part, some before they start record access, and a repeat set when they have gained some experience.

At the same time we seem to be rapidly gathering interest in a ‘virtual’ patient participation group. It certainly will open contact with our surgery to many who cannot spare the time for fixed evening meetings – and gives me a captive audience for a future publicity/recruitment drive.

Who will be my first ‘customer’?.........

When will I get on my bike?.........

No comments:

Post a Comment